Family-Based Green Card for Parents - I-130 Form

You have to prove that there is a family relationship between the parent or parents you are sponsoring. You will have to show U.S. immigration officials clear, credible, and understandable evidence of your familial relationship.

Family-Based Green Card for Parents Requirements

To petition for your mother or father to live in the U.S., you must be a U.S. citizen and at least 21 years old. Legal Permanent Residents may not petition to bring parents to live permanently in the United States.

You are required to provide evidence that you are the son or daughter of your parent:

  • If you are sponsoring your mother, submit a copy of your birth certificate showing your name and your mother’s name;
  • If you are sponsoring your father submit a copy of your birth certificate showing your name and both of your parent’s name as well as their marriage certificate;
  • For an adoptive parent, include the adoption certificate;
  • For a stepparent, include both your birth certificate and the marriage certificate with your biological parent.

Family-Based Green Card for Parents Application Process

You will be notified by the USCIS if your I-130 petition is approved or denied. If the parent you are sponsoring lives outside of the U.S., he or she will have to wait until Form I-130 is approved before starting the green card application process through a U.S. consulate, this is referred to as consular processing. If your mother or father entered the U.S. legally, e.g.; through a visa or other means, he or she is eligible to file Form I-485, Petition to Adjust Status, and Form I-130 Family-Based Green Card for Parents concurrently. Filing both forms at the same time, allows for immediate processing of the green card, without having to wait for approval of Form I-130.

Note: In the event that you were legally adopted, you may not petition on behalf of your birth parent.

Family-Based Green Card for Parents Evidence

To correctly sponsor your mother or father, you must also provide evidence of your U.S. Citizenship.

Documents that can prove your US Citizenship:

  • Birth certificate
  • Naturalization certificate or certificate of citizenship
  • Form FS-240, Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States
  • Valid US passport
  • Original statement from US consular officer verifying your citizenship

Note: Permanent Residents cannot petition for a Family-Based Green Card on behalf of their parents. However, once naturalized, Green Card holders will have the same rights as U.S. citizens.

What are the advantages included in my application?

Apply Computer

24 Hours Email support
24 Hours Personalized instructions
24 Hours Self-help software
24 Hours Helpful tips
DOWNLOAD NOW arrow is not a law firm and does not provide any legal services but general information and self-help services regarding immigration to the United States. This company is not a government website/agency/affiliate/representative. The US Citizens and Immigration Services have not endorsed this company. We do not represent any legal authority nor do we purport to act as legal counsel or advisor or any other form of legal representation. Our company provides a self-help software which provides detailed information regarding the process of how to correctly complete an immigration form and we only provide technical support in relation to the above. Therefore it is not a substitute for and does not replace legal advice. Clients will be able to request a refund, as long as they meet the requirements stated in the Refund Policy

By using our website you accept our Cookies Policy.
OK + Info

By using our website you accept our Cookies Policy. Click here to know more. I agree