US Immigration update: USCIS Filing Fee Increase Temporarily Blocked. Apply Before Fees Increase.


On October 1st, 2020, a US Federal Court temporarily stopped the nationwide implementation of USCIS’ increase in fees, which was scheduled to become effective starting October 2, 2020.

Applicants still have a chance to save hundreds of dollars in USCIS fees —before the temporary halt is lifted.

To save on USCIS fees:

  1. Complete your N-400 or I-765 Form today
  2. Send your application package to USCIS as soon as possible

These 2 steps allow applicants to take advantage of current USCIS fees before they experience a dramatic increase —which is currently on hold.

Waiting to submit immigration forms will cost applicants hundreds of dollars more once the halt in USCIS fee increases is lifted. USCIS is likely to appeal to the 9th Circuit Court to get the fee increases pushed through.

USCIS Deputy Director of Policy Joseph Edlow issued a response to the temporary block stating that USCIS was “underfunded by millions of dollars each business day the fee rule is enjoined” and that “current fees do not recover the cost of providing adjudication and naturalization services”.

This statement clearly indicates that the USCIS fee increase will come into effect sooner rather than later and makes applying now the only way to secure the current fees.

Immigration Form Current fees Fees after increase halt is lifted Savings when you apply today
N-400 US Citizenship $640 $1,170 $530
I-765 EAD $410 $550 $140

Family-Based Green Card for Sibling - I-130 Form

You have to prove that there is a family relationship between you and the sibling or siblings, you are sponsoring. You will have to show U.S. immigration officials clear, credible, and understandable evidence of your familial relationship.

Family-Based Green Card for Sibling Requirements

The legal definition of sibling includes step-brothers and step-sisters (as long as you were both 18 or under when your parents married) and adopted siblings (as long as your sibling and if applicable, you - were both under the age of 16 when adopted and meet other legal conditions for a legal adoption).

To petition for your brother or sister to live in the U.S., you must be a U.S. citizen and at least 21 years old. Legal Permanent Residents cannot petition to bring siblings to live permanently in the United States.

Family-Based Green Card for Sibling Application Process

Siblings are not considered immediate relatives and instead fall in the family preference category, the Green Card process takes considerably longer because a visa number will not become immediately available.

Once Form I-130 is accepted, siblings of U.S. Citizens will have to wait for their priority date to become current, since visas are assigned in the chronological order in which the petitions are filed. The filing date becomes the applicant’s priority date. Once a visa number becomes available the beneficiary can apply for a visa or to adjust his or her status.

If your brother or sister resides outside of the U.S., the NVC will send your petition along with their visa number to the recipients’ local U.S. Consulate or Embassy with detailed instructions on how to complete the Visa process. Your sibling may begin his or her green card application once Form I-130 is approved and the priority date becomes current.

To check the status of the current priority date, please see the Visa Bulletin published monthly by the US Department of State.

Family-Based Green Card for Sibling Evidence

To correctly sponsor your brother or sister, you must also provide evidence of your U.S. Citizenship.

Documents that can prove your US Citizenship:

  • Birth certificate
  • Naturalization certificate or certificate of citizenship
  • Form FS-240, Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States
  • Valid US passport
  • Original statement from US consular officer verifying your citizenship

Note: Permanent Residents cannot petition for a Family-Based Green Card on behalf of their siblings. However, once naturalized, Green Card holders will have the same rights as U.S. citizens.

What are the advantages included in my application?

Apply Computer

24 Hours Email support
24 Hours Personalized instructions
24 Hours Self-help software
24 Hours Helpful tips
By using our website you accept our Cookies Policy.
OK + Info

By using our website you accept our Cookies Policy. Click here to know more. I agree