When I can file Form N-400?

Permanent residents or Green Card holders who wish to apply for U.S. citizenship must meet all the eligibility requirements and fill out and submit Form N-400 - Application for U.S. citizenship. To apply for U.S. citizenship, permanent residents must meet the 5-year residency requirement, meaning that they must have been living in the U.S. with the permanent resident status for at least 5 years, or 3 years if married to a U.S. citizen. Applicants may file Form N-400 ninety (90) calendar days before completing the permanent residence requirement

To determine the 90-day early filing date, applicants should use the date shown on their Green Cards. For example, if the date shown on the Permanent Resident Card (or Green Card) is April 20, 2012, then the 5 year permanent resident requirement is met on April 20, 2017. This means applicants may file their completed Form N-400 as early as January 20, 2017.

Although an applicant may file early according to the 90-day early filing provision, the applicant is not eligible for naturalization until he or she has reached the required 3- or 5-year period of continuous residence as an LPR. Applicants filing up to 90 days before meeting the continuous residence requirement must still meet all other requirements for naturalization at the time of filing.

Next Post Previous Post

is not a law firm and does not provide any legal services but general information and self-help services regarding immigration to the United States. This company is not a government website/agency/affiliate/representative. The US Citizens and Immigration Services have not endorsed this company. We do not represent any legal authority nor do we purport to act as legal counsel or advisor or any other form of legal representation. Our company provides a self-help software which provides detailed information regarding the process of how to correctly complete an immigration form and we only provide technical support in relation to the above. Therefore it is not a substitute for and does not replace legal advice. Clients will be able to request a refund, as long as they meet the requirements stated in the Refund Policy

© 2024 - All Rights Reserved.